If you suffered a personal injury, that means that someone else may be responsible for the losses you have. Personal injury claims are complex and require a significant amount of time as various steps typically must occur. The personal injury claim process is not one you want to go through on your own, but with the help of a highly skilled attorney, one with ample experience in personal injury law, you’ll gain more insight and support to ensure the best possible results in your case.
If you have any questions about the personal injury claim process in Tacoma, Washington, contact Attorney Blake Kremer immediately for support. Even if you’re not sure if you have a personal injury case, your attorney can help you get more information so you don’t overlook the financial support that could be available in your situation.
How Does the Personal Claim Process Work?
There are several steps you can expect through the personal injury claim process.
- Get medical care for your needs. After you suffer an injury, seek medical care right away. Ensure that you document what occurred. Follow all of the advice of your doctor. Don’t post on social media about your injuries or make statements to anyone about what occurred beyond just the facts.
- Contact your personal injury attorney. Don’t speak to the insurance adjuster without the support of your attorney. Their goal is to reduce what is owed to you, not to pay a fair level of compensation. Under Washington law, you have three years from your incident to file a claim, which means you shouldn’t feel pressured to do so.
- Lawyer investigation. During the next steps, your attorney will gather information about your case, outlining what could have occurred, documenting who could be at fault, and even gathering expert witness statements and video to help prove your losses. Your lawyer will work to understand the extensiveness of your injuries and gather medical records.
- Requesting compensation from the insurance company. When there is an insurance company that is processing your case or is responsible for the losses, your attorney will present a demand for compensation based on your financial losses. This often means showcasing the financial losses you’ve incurred due to the incident. There may be some negotiation involved in this part of the process.
- Going to trial. In some situations, the insurance company will agree to a settlement in the case, but that may not be enough based on your losses. When there is no way to come to an agreement, your attorney may tell you that it’s best to go to trial to pursue financial compensation and allow a judge to decide what occurs in your case. The attorney will file the lawsuit in a court of law.
- Discovery phase. This next period of time, called the discovery phase, gives each party time to investigate the information the other side has. It is a fact-finding process and often involves making statements, talking to witnesses, and gathering details to create a defense. Sometimes, it can last as much as a year.
- Mediation and negotiation. Lawyers typically come together at this point to talk about a settlement. There may be some negotiating involved based on all of the information present. A mediator may be used to help the two sides come to an agreement.
- Trial. If mediation does not work, the case goes to trial. This allows for judges to make decisions on what is owed, and in some situations, a jury could be present. A final decision is typically made at this point.
How Long Does It Take to Process a Personal Injury Claim?
The Tacoma, Washington personal injury claim process can be long, lasting a year or longer in some situations. That can seem very frustrating to anyone with a stack of medical bills they have to wade through and limitations on their ability to work and receive compensation. With the help of an attorney, it may be possible to move things along faster.
One key reason for this is that when you work with a skilled personal injury attorney, you can present a fair claim to the insurance company at the start of this process. A skilled negotiator may be able to work with the insurance company to come to an agreement instead of taking the case to court. Most of the time, insurance companies do not want to go through the legal process.
Contact Attorney Blake Kremer for Immediate Help
It’s hard to know that you have so much on the line for someone else to decide on. Having a compassionate attorney by your side, like Blake Kremer, can make this entire process a bit easier for you to manage. What is most important is knowing that you have rights and you do not have to settle your case based on what the insurance company offers to you. Let’s talk about your legal options and those rights.
Set up a consultation to discuss your personal injury case with attorney Blake Kremer. When you do, you will gain answers to your questions and an honest, completely fair assessment of what could occur. There is no time better than right now to take action. Call (253) 676-9467 today to speak with attorney Blake Kremer or (253) 368-4382 to speak with Kate, Blake’s paralegal. We serve all of Puget Sound, South Sound, Pierce County, King County, and the surrounding region.